It was built between 1388 and 1405. Princess Milica took her wows here after Battle at Kosovo Polje in 1389 together with many other widows of Serbian noblemen who were killed in battles against Ottoman Empire.
Ljubostinja was declared a Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.
Monastery Ljubostinja has one dome and a narthex. It was built with trimmed stones, while the facade was re-plastered and painted to imitate masonry of stone and bricks.
The monastery was built in the Morava School Style. The builder was master Rade Borović, whose name is on the threshold of the passage from the narthex to nave.
Paintings are only partially preserved.
Church was painted on two occasions. Portraits of Prince Lazar and Princess Milica made by Hieromonk Makarije are in the narthex.
The church also has very valuable iconostasis, which was painted by Nikola Marković in 1822.
During the Koča's Rising in 1788, the people were invited to join rebellion from Ljubostinja monastery.
After the rising collapsed, Turks burned the monastery in revenge and most of the frescoes were destroyed. Also, when the monastery was set on fire, a secret treasure was discovered hidden in the monastery wall behind icons. It was hidden there by princess Milica. Among the stolen items was crown of prince Lazar, now in Istanbul.
Princess Milica was buried in Ljubostinja.
Today, Ljubostinja is a female monastery. It is preserved and maintained by about fifty nuns.